CGT Program News
Computer Graphics Technology is proud to announce a new, online course that will only be offered during the second 8 weeks of the spring 2013 semester:
CGT 29900: The Road to Hollywood with John Van Vliet (3 credits)
John Van Vliet is a legendary animation and visual effects supervisor who has worked on many of history’s biggest movies, including:
The Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Little Mermaid
In this course John is not just going to talk about his amazing experiences, he is going to help you understand the culture of Hollywood and prepare you for your dream job. He will relay inside information on how best to break into the industry, stay employed, and join this group of unique people with imagination and creative passion.
The course will cover the following topics:
• An introduction to John and his past and current work (including a film shoot he just wrapped)
• The film triangle of art, business and technology.
• Working in feature films, cable films, television, commercials and video games.
• The art and business of creativity: how it can be profitable, and how it can be frustrating.
• How to approach problem solving without panic (or at least not showing it).
• Learning to work with professional personalities that are “socially challenged” or “morally compromised.”
• Leadership: If you are suddenly thrust into a position where you are in charge, there are some simple techniques to make it work for you and your crew.
• Health, safety, sanity and knowing when to say “No.”
At the end of the course, John will appear on the IUPUI campus to give a presentation to the public and answer your questions. Enrolled students will have priority seating in a packed house!
Throughout this course John will be interviewing other luminaries as they offer their unique perspectives, designed to help you succeed in this industry. Some of the big names include:
• Richard Taylor: Director, Production Designer and Special Effects Supervisor
• Les Bernstien: Visual Effects Director of Photography
• Alan Wolfson: Model Builder
This is the first time a course like The Road to Hollywood with John Van Vliet has been offered at IUPUI. In fact, it may be the first time a course designed with this type of inside industry information has been taught anywhere. We are limiting the course to 100 students. Therefore, we are expecting the course to fill up quickly. Opportunities like this do not come about very often, if ever.
Sign up today! Enrollment is available for everyone, not just CGT students.
More information for any current CGT* or IUPUI student:
1. Simply register for CGT 29900: The Road to Hollywood with John Van Vliet
More information for any visiting university or non-degree seeking student:
1. Simply begin the application process here: http://enroll.iupui.edu/admissions/undergraduate/non-degree/
*Please note that this course can be used as a technical or free elective for CGT students.
If you have any questions, please email Dan Baldwin email@example.com , Jan Cowan firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact any CGT faculty for more information.