Bachelor of Science in Music Technology
The Bachelor of Science in Music Technology (BSMT) is a four-year degree program instilling students with technical, theoretical, and creative skills required to pursue professional careers in the growing field of music technology. Students enroll in both traditional music studies, (music theory, aural skills, keyboard studies, and applied instrument lessons) as well as our wide-ranging and innovative technology courses of Recording and Production, Creative Music Technology, Digital Signal Processing for Music, and Interface and Instrument Design. The degree culminates with presentation of a capstone project, combining a student's creative, technical, theoretical, and historical knowledge. One hundred and twenty (120) hours of coursework are required with a concentration in an allied field such as computer technology. The degree is designed as a four-year course of study.
The BSMT program covers the following areas of focus:
- Essentials of Music Technology: Concepts include acoustics, psychoacoustics, analog and digital audio, MIDI, and digital notation.
- Recording and Production: Technical competency in industry-standard recording software, techniques, and equipment. Concepts include analog and digital recording, microphone design and placement, studio design and setup, mixing, and mastering.
- Live electronic manipulation and performance: Concepts include hardware and software for live music creation, audio interfaces and live equipment setup, control interfaces for live manipulation of analog and digital instruments, and performance practice.
- Creation and Composition through Music Technology: The use of technology in creating, composing, and making music in both live and studio practices. Concepts include composition and notation software, and the theory and practice of composition with music technology.
- Digital Signal Processing and Synthesis: Software design through the use of a graphic programming environment. Concepts include audio and video digital signal processing, sound synthesis, and interactive and generative media.
- Interface and Instrument Design: The development of new instruments and interfaces using software programming and hardware construction.
Please click here for a BSMT Plan of Study.