Master's and Graduate Certificate Applications for Admission
Applications for Master's degree and Graduate Certificate programs require a number of steps by the applicant. Below is detailed information on preparing for and completing your online application. By following these guidelines, you will ensure prompt and efficient processing of your graduate application.
- Take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
- Complete the Department Supplemental Form
- Request Three Current Recommendations for Admission
- Write your Statement of Purpose
- Order Official Transcripts and Certified Copy of Bachelor’s Degree Diploma
- If Applicable - Take an English Language Proficiency Test
- Write your Resume
- The GRE General Test is required if you are applying for admission to an engineering graduate program (Biomedical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering). Official GRE scores must be reported directly to IUPUI from the testing agency ETS. (IUPUI institution code: 1325.)
- The GRE General Test is required if you are applying for admission to the technology graduate program (MS Technology), with the exception of the Facilities Management online program, which accepts the GRE or GMAT. No graduate exam is necessary to apply to the MS Technology Organizational Leadership program or the Human Resources Development Certificate program, if you have graduated from a U.S. accredited college or university. However, if you wish to submit those scores with your other application materials you may.
2. Complete the Departmental Supplemental Form: Download the departmental questionnaire, fill it out, and save. Check to ensure that the answers have saved correctly. If the answers do not save, initiate the “print” command, select “Adobe PDF” as the printer, and click “print”. Save the document as a .pdf file and it should save your answers. If this does not work, you can manually complete the form, scan and save for uploading when you complete your online application.
3. Request Three Current Recommendations for Admission: (Name, address, phone and email are needed.) Three recommendations for graduate admission are required. Individuals writing your recommendations should be your present or former professors or instructors and academic advisors, or managers, supervisors, or project leaders you report to professionally, who are most able to comment on your academic performance, intellectual abilities, scholastic skills and aptitudes, and work ethics, if relevant. Recommendations from friends, peers, family members or relatives, and acquaintances are not acceptable. Once you submit your online application, a computer generated request for recommendations will be sent directly to the recommenders. Online recommendations are strongly preferred. However, if a recommender wishes to complete a paper recommendation, you may send this fillable form.
4. Write Your Statement of Purpose: Write a 400-word essay summarizing your academic background, professional experience, if relevant, and your educational goals and objectives. In addition and very importantly, describe and highlight your specific area(s) of interest and focus in graduate study.
5. Order Official Transcripts and Certified Copies of Bachelor's Degree Diploma to be sent directly to the School of Engineering & Technology Graduate Programs Office: (Scan and save a PDF copy to upload when you complete the online application.) One set of official academic transcripts are required from every college/university attended. If a transcript is not in English, you must provide an English translation certified by the college or university which issued the transcript. Transcripts and/or English translation must arrive in an envelope sealed by the registrar. With prior notice, we also accept electronic transcripts sent via eScrip-Safe, Docufide, or PDF Transcript Delivery directly from the accredited U.S. college and/or university registrar to a graduate admissions personnel in the School of Engineering and Technology Graduate Programs Office. (Contact your program’s admissions professional for an email address.) We do not accept electronic transcripts from international colleges or universities. When scanning to email copies of transcripts: If personal identifying information such as a student identification number or social security number appear on the document, REMOVE THIS INFORMATION from your electronic version of your document or mark out the information in black ink before scanning your document.
- Provide a certified copy of Bachelor’s degree diploma awarded, which is only required if degree conferred is not posted on final transcript.
6. Take the English Language Proficiency Test and Order Scores to be Sent Directly to IUPUI (school code 1325): International degree-seeking applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit proof of English proficiency. The Graduate School accepts the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Pearson Test of English (PTE) for admission. The Graduate School will routinely waive the English proficiency requirement for applicants who have received a degree within the past 24 months from a school where English is the primary language of instruction in one of the recognized English speaking countries.
Complete Online Graduate Application: (Checklist for download) (Apply Here)
- Complete all required information in the order presented in the application
- Double check that you choose the correct degree program
- Add contact information for three recommenders
- Upload supporting documents (PDF format) to the online application
- Pay online application fee
- Submit your application
- BSMS Combined Degree Program Students - Complete Form GS-27: BSMS students applying to the master's program must complete Form GS-27, have document signed by the heads of the BS and MS Departments and then upload the document to the online application.
- International applicants are required to provide additional documentation to the Office of International Affairs (OIA). After being recommended for admission, IUPUI Office of International Affairs will contact applicant regarding required documents.
- Copy of passport photo page
- Financial Support Documents (for Visa purposes)
- Copy of immigration documentation (i.e. I-20, immigration visas, etc...)
Mail all application materials and supporting documents to the address provided here that reflects the program you applied to:
BME Graduate Program Applicants:IUPUI Purdue School of Engineering & Technology Biomedical Engineering Department 723 West Michigan Street, SL 220 Indianapolis, IN 46202 U.S.A. E-mail: email@example.com
ECE Graduate Program Applicants:IUPUI Purdue School of Engineering & Technology Electrical and Computer Engineering Department 723 West Michigan Street, SL 160 Indianapolis, IN 46202 U.S.A. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
ME and TECH Graduate Program Applicants:IUPUI Purdue School of Engineering & Technology Graduate Programs Office 799 West Michigan Street, ET 215 Indianapolis, IN 46202 U.S.A. E-mail: email@example.com
Applications will not be processed until all materials have been received in our office.